Monday, August 22, 2011

chocolate cupcake goodness!

As you probably know, Preston has a cow's milk protein allergy. So, since February 1st, I've been dairy-free. As difficult as it is, I don't really miss it anymore. What I do miss is wonderful dairy filled desserts! Oh creamy, fluffy buttercream, how I wish I could dollop you on top of these amazing dairy-free, egg-free cupcakes! But since I can't, I shall keep looking for a just as amazing dairy-free frosting and enjoy these in the meantime. If you are gluten-free, I'm sure you could adapt the flour to a gluten free variety (I might attempt that just for fun). I've included notations if I use a particular brand.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups cake flour (I use King Arthur)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Toll House)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (use the real stuff people, not imitation or flavoring!)
1 1/4 cups water

Method of Prep:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 12 standard muffin cups with paper liners. If using decorative liners, double up or use a white liner inside decorative liner.
  2. Sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
  3. Using a mixer on medium-high speed, mix together oil, vinegar, vanilla, and water until well combined.
  4. Add flour in two or three additions (otherwise you will be covered in it!) and mix until smooth. Scrape down bowl after each addition.
  5. Divide batter evenly among lined cups. Batter will be thin!
  6. Bake for 20 minutes, or until cake tester come out clean, and rotate halfway through.
  7. Cool out of pan on wire rack. (however, they are delicious right out of the oven, so they may not make it that long)
  8. You can dust with powdered sugar and cocoa or frost with your favorite frosting (I will post one once I come up with an acceptable dairy-free option).
  9. Store three days at room temp or freeze one month in airtight containers (there is no way they will last that long!)

That's it. They really are worth making and are super easy.  You won't be disappointed!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't even know they sold cocoa powder in a brand other than Hershey's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't either, until about 2 years ago. I have seen other "gourmet" brands around, but who wants to pay that much?

    ReplyDelete